Stop Labeling Students

As I read the article "Why is That Child so Rude?", I was able to make many connections with the author (Beth Templeton). I have heard many negatives comments from adults as they speak about their students or other people's children. Many of the comments are geared towards a child's behavior or appearance. Most of the time these comments come out of frustration. I will admit, that I too have made comments similar to the ones discussed in this article. 

It is important in moments of frustration to see the whole child instead of the problem behavior or issue. Many students get "labeled" because of these comments. It drives me crazy when someone says that a child is "naughty" because of something they have done. The reason this irritates me is that oftentimes these students hear it. This adult just labeled this child as "naughty" and this child may likely take this label with them for the rest of their lives. They often believe what they hear. I mean seriously, they believe a giant bunny can hop around and deliver candy all around the world in one night simply because someone told them that! 

It is also important that we watch what we say as we may not know what is happening in this child's life. And even if we do know, it is not our job to judge or label. Our job is to love them where they are regardless of what they look like or how they act. 




Comments

  1. I absolutely agree Kathy! I also believe students carry what they hear! I adore Eastwood's quote! If we could only judge if we were perfect, our world would be a judge-free place! Thanks for sharing Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminding us how children put so much value in our words and that labels are not for kids were important details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great article with so many excellent points to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment