Rock'n in my Teacher Shoes

When I think about "rocks" in my shoes, I instantly think about the children's book character Pete the Cat. In the book, Pete the Cat goes to school and "Rocks in His School Shoes." The term "rocks" is used in a positive connotation as Pete finds himself in different scenarios where he may worry, but instead chooses to stay grounded and sing about his school shoes. It is evident that Pete enjoys school, and everywhere he goes in his shoes. 

As a teacher, I find that it can be hard to always be like Pete by singing and "rock'n in my teacher shoes," especially when my shoes are already full of rocks. These rocks can be anything from the students' behaviors to deadlines to mandated reports to standardized tests. Still, I think the most significant stones come from the desire of my heart. The desire to be the best I can be for my students, the community, for our world, and God. I know I am not the only teacher that feels this way, but we have chosen this career for a reason, and we want to be good at it! It is our passion to help each student succeed. However, the truth is, sometimes we don't get to see that success. We feel like we are failing. We give up on ourselves. These rocks are created by wanting to be perfect. These rocks are formed by expectations put on us by ourselves and by others. These rocks will probably forever be in our shoes, and we must learn how to live with them. At times, these rocks may be sharper or more burdensome than others, but we must not focus on what is weighing us down, but instead of what is bringing us up. For me, this is my faith in Jesus, my friends, the laughter in my students, and all the things that make me smile. Yes, the rocks are there, but they are not as noticeable when you put your focus elsewhere. So my goal is to be like Pete the Cat, by finding time each school day to "Rock in my Teacher Shoes." 









Comments

  1. I have not read this book! I love the connections you made to it! You are a Rock Star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great share! This really struck me. "sometimes we don't get to see that success. We feel like we are failing. We give up on ourselves. " because it is true. There is fear of failure and even our best is not always the best. It can be easy to be discouraged but as soon as we turn a corner something phenomenal happens. We are reminded again of the differences we make.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment